Rankings of colleges play an important part in a student’s life. Rankings make it easier for students to choose a college. Over the years, top engineering colleges in India have built a formidable reputation by imparting world-class education and conducting high impact research. These colleges have active MoUs with foreign and Indian universities for faculty and student exchange programs.
Engineering is one of the most popular professional courses in the country. Since the inception of the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) in 1951, no other college has been able to provide a better quality of education than these premiere government-funded technological institutes.
Some of the best engineering colleges in India are IIT Madras, IIT Delhi, IIT Bombay, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Kanpur, IIT Guwahati, IIT Roorkee and IIT Hyderabad. These are the top-seeded engineering colleges according to the NIRF rankings. Some of the top engineering colleges in India, other than IITs, are Anna University, NIT-Tiruchirappalli and IIT BHU.
To get admission in any of the IITs, students need to qualify JEE Advanced examination. Only top-ranking students get accepted in IITs. It is one of the toughest entrance examinations in India that decides the fate of students aspiring to get admission in top 10 engineering colleges in India. Students start preparing for JEE Advanced from class 10th to get admission in IITs. Admissions in Anna University are done through Tamil Nadu Engineering Admission (TNEA) for BE or B.Arch, and TANCET for ME and M.Arch. A student needs to appear for JEE Mains in order to pursue B.Tech from NITs.
Top movers in 2019
Mentioned below are top 10 engineering colleges in India based on the NIRF rankings:
- IIT-Madras secured the first position in 2019.
- IIT-Delhi stood second, replacing IIT-Bombay.
- IIT-Bombay moved down third spot in 2019.
- IIT-Kharagpur, IIT-Kanpur, IIT-Roorkee and IIT-Guwahati held fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh spot, respectively, in 2019.
- IIT-Hyderabad moved up to the eighth spot in 2019 rankings replacing Anna University.
- Anna University moved down to the ninth position in 2019.
- NIT, Tiruchirappalli moved up from 11th spot to 10th spot in 2019 replacing Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai.